Monday, June 25, 2012

Brown Monmouth - FINISHED

Knitting the latest Monmouth went fairly quickly ... at least, until the time came for the three-needle-bind-off.  There's a lesson in this.  I took my very-nearly-finished hat to the event where my apprenticeship was announced,* but I failed to pack along a set of one-size-smaller DPNs to do the bind-off.  Trying to do this thing with all the needles the same size is a MAJOR PAIN and I do not recommend it.

So I got frustrated and put it back in the basket.  And it sat in the basket for two months while I happily cranked out socks and perused mundane sweater patterns and did everything in my power to avoid making eye contact with that frustrating little wad of wool.  But I finally shamed myself into picking up the right needle.  And whaddayaknow, I practically flew through the last bit of bind-off and the icord loop.  All that was left was to felt and block it.  I don't know if I got the agitation motions down faster this time, or if the wool was simply more enthusiastic about the process than the oatmeal-colored stuff, but it seemed to take no time at all for the material to firm up.

Right!  ...  So now I get to jimmy around with my documentation ...  Woo?

* If you read my sewing blog, this is no surprise.  I'm belted to Mistress Margot du Bois, who is awesome.  This was back in April.

ALSO, since this is a hat-related post, the Museum of London has uploaded SEVENTY-THREE sixteenth-century caps, cap linings, and fragments to their online collection.  You can follow the link here ... and if it doesn't automatically give you 73 knitted caps, just type "cap" in the searchy box.  I was tickled pink by the lovely earflap caps, particularly because that's one of the next items on my to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment