Thursday, August 23, 2012

SHOPPING!!!

So, guess what I just bought?

Guess?

GUESS!!!

My very own spinning wheel, that's what.

It's not a beautiful hand-crafted wooden wheel - it's not even new, and needs a replacement drive band and a bit of a clean-up.  But it's mine.  And a heck of a steal, too, $85, shipping included.

I'm also communicating with a Shetland sheep breeder about purchasing some raw black fleece.  I've looked and looked, trying to find a good deal on Ryeland wool for my medieval caps project, but haven't had any luck.  Shetland seems to be a reasonable substitution, as far as wool characteristics are concerned, and is more readily available in the US market.

So basically I'm turning a knitting design project into a more expansive meta project - preparing fibers, spinning and plying, and finally cap production and finishing.  It will be a big project, and I will be moving to a different city sometime in the middle of it all, but this is what currently makes my socks roll up and down, so here's to jumping in the deep end!

No comments:

Post a Comment