Thursday, April 12, 2012

Well, duh.

I finished the outer shell of Monmouth #3 this morning and am now in the process of picking up a row of purl stitches inside the brim. I'm cheating a bit by picking up a few stitches on a DPN and transferring them to a circular needle, but it's still not a fun process.

(To be fair, my DPN set isn't long enough to accommodate all 120 stitches.)

The extant piece is knit at a larger gauge, so fewer stitches, fewer rows, and fewer pick-ups means much faster, less tedious work. The ability to quickly produce this in-demand item means more money for the local cappers' guild. I've found a chunky natural wool I'd like to order in the very near future. It knits at a slightly finer gauge than the wool used to produce the Nelson Museum's cap, but it's a heckuva lot closer than the worsted weight I'm using at present. When I get my hands on that yarn and some DPNs in the right size, I plan on doing a speed challenge, just to see how long it takes me to construct the hat from start to finish. Fulling not included :P

No comments:

Post a Comment